- 0 lessons
- 0 quizzes
- 10 week duration
An introduction to numerical computation. Emphasis is placed on scientific and engineering notation, the rule of significant figures, and converting between SI and Imperial units.
Fractions, Percentage, Ratios and Proportion
Emphasis here is placed on understanding fractions, percent, and using ratios to compare quantities and set up proportions to solve problems.
Introduction to Algebra
Functions and Graphs
This unit focuses on analyzing and understand the characteristics of various shapes, both 2D and 3D.
- Identify, measure, and calculate different types of straight lines and angles
- Calculate the interior angles of polygons
- Solve problems involving a variety of different types of triangles
- Calculate the area of a variety of different types of quadrilaterals
- Solve problems involving circles
- Calculate the areas and volumes of different solids
Add and Subtract Algebraic Fractions
Fractions always have a tendency to scare math student no matter what level of study they’re in. You’re likely to have been first introduced to fractions in elementary school, so before we start mixing in variables into our questions – as you’d expect with algebraic expressions – a good place to start would be to relearn how to add and subtract numerical fractions. The following videos will review the different types of fractions (proper, improper, and mixed) and show this process in action:
- A video lessons exclusively on converting between the three types of fractions can be accessed here. You may skip this link if you’re comfortable with the process.
You’ll find in the next video which caters to fractions containing algebraic symbols, that you can combine most terms by first finding a common denominator (or lowest common denominator). The first of this two part video series explores simple terms being combined, though it’s strongly encouraged you also watch Part 2 (also linked below) which explores how to combine through addition or subtraction more complicated expressions.