- 42 lessons
- 0 quizzes
- 10 week duration
An introduction to numerical computation. Emphasis is placed on scientific and engineering notation, the rule of significant figures, and converting between SI and Imperial units.
Fractions, Percentage, Ratios and Proportion
Emphasis here is placed on understanding fractions, percent, and using ratios to compare quantities and set up proportions to solve problems.
Introduction to Algebra
Functions and Graphs
This unit focuses on analyzing and understand the characteristics of various shapes, both 2D and 3D.
- Identify, measure, and calculate different types of straight lines and angles
- Calculate the interior angles of polygons
- Solve problems involving a variety of different types of triangles
- Calculate the area of a variety of different types of quadrilaterals
- Solve problems involving circles
- Calculate the areas and volumes of different solids
Calculate the area of a variety of different types of quadrilaterals
A quadrilateral is a polygon (i.e. 2D shape) with four edges (or sides) and four vertices or corners. Examples of quadrilaterals are illustrated below.
In this section, we’ll focus on finding the area of trapezoids (right). A comparison of how to find the area of different quadrilaterals, namely the parallelograms (left) and rhombuses (center) are also shown.
Of these three, the more complicated area to find is the one for trapezoids. The video below shows two examples: the first is a basic look at how the area formula is used, while the second shows how you can analytically break down a trapezoid into three segments.