Explore
Post homework questions online and get free homework help from tutors.
Learn More
Improve Grades
Help Others
Save Time
Accessible 24/7
  598 People Browsing
Related Images
Poll
Which of these news organizations do you trust the LEAST?
CNN
MSNBC
Fox News
RT News
I don't trust mainstream media
If you would like to vote in this poll, please login or register

rj957
wrote...
4 years ago
The element with atomic number 8 would need 2 electrons to fill its valence shell, where as hydrogen only needs 1 to fill its valence shell right?

The answer to this is 2 maximum covalent bonds, but I cannot figure out why. Science savvy people heeeelp I have a bio 2 exam coming up and my professor and TA are slow at responding to email! Thanks!
Read 1660 times
3 Replies
Mickymouse
wrote...
4 years ago
This element is oxygen. It needs 8 electrons to fill its valence shell. Two electrons are in a lower shell. That leaves six in its valence shell.  Hydrogen contributes one electron.  So two hydrogens will complete the valence shell of oxygen.
Answer accepted by topic starter
wrote...
4 years ago
To view this post and more
You'll need to login or register
The electron configuration of an element with atomic number 8 is:

1s2 2s2 2p4

So, the three p orbitals consist of a pair of electrons in one of the p orbital and two singly occupied p orbitals.  Each lone electron from this two singly occupied p orbitals can share with the electron from the hydrogen atoms.

Note: Covalent bond is formed by sharing of electrons.
wrote...
4 years ago
Element having atomic no. 8 need 2 electron to acheive a stable elctronic configuration i.e. 2,8. The H atom have only 1 electron and need only 1 electron to attain a stable configuration. Therefore,  2 covent bonds will be formed.
Share This Topic